LOS PADRES NATIONAL FOREST – VENTURA, CALIFORNIA
START DATE, TIME, CAUSE
The Thomas Fire started on December 4, 2017 at around 1826 hours PST from an unknown cause.
Located in the upper Ojai area near Thomas Aquinas College in the city of Santa Paula in Ventura County. It was originally reported on Hwy 150 & Hwy 126 originally north of Santa Paula.
The cause is being investigated.
Emergency Hotline – 805-465-6650
TOTAL FIRE RESOURCES
There are currently 7,851 fire personnel assigned on this incident along with 856 engines, 113 crews, 27 helos, 67 bulldozers and 48 water tenders. CAL FIRE IMT-4 is still in managing fire along with still being in Unified Command with CAL FIRE, VCFD, City of Ventura, LPNF, VCSO. 70 PIOs representing VCFD, RSG, Ready for Wildfire, Ready Ventura County.
Cooperating agencies are CAL FIRE, VCSO, Santa Barbara Co FD, SBCoSO, VFD, City of VPD, USFS/LPNF, CAL OES, Red Cross, So CAL Ed, CHP, CA DOC, SoCaGas, Crimson Pipeline, Wildfire Defense Systems, CA Resources Group, Santa Paula PD, SPFD, VC OES, SB OEM, Big Bear FD, SBCFD, Redding FD, Turlock FD, Modesto FD, StanConFD, BCFD#1, Clackamas FD, Tulatin Fire & Rescue, CA National Guard, US National Guard.
WA Fire Resources: 1 engine from Benton Co Fire District #1, 1 engine from Richland FD, 1 engine from Walla Walla Fire District #4 and 2 engines from Chelan FD. (as of 12/12/2017)
CURRENT FIRE STATUS
Today the goal is to go direct on the fire on the west side, use the 2016 Ray Fire scar to help slow the rate of spread, and keep Gibraltar Road and reservoir as control points.
Severe fire weather to continue producing significant fire growth further into Santa Barbara County, threatening areas in Montecito and Summerland.
Gusty winds will continue to push the fire to the west while unusual very low fuel moisture, high temps and unheard of single-digit RH which will support fire growth on the west and north sides. This will cause extreme fire behavior will continue to hamper control efforts.
The red flag warning has again been extended to 8:00 PM Wednesday evening over the LA and Ventura County Mountains with strong northeast winds and relative humidity as low as 4-10%.
Ojai residents may experience smokey conditions today due to a burning out operation within the perimeter of the fire. A burning out operation is setting a fire inside a control line to consume fuel between the edge of the fire and the control line.
FIRE PROGRESSION MAP
Current cost-to-date for fire suppression and containment expenses have now reached up to $55,000,000.
BOIL WATER ORDERS
Fire is affecting the Lake Casitas and Santa Clara River watersheds, and a boil order is in effect for the beach communities. Lake Casitas is the source of drinking water for this area. (Issued by the Water District)
N95 MASK DISTRIBUTION CENTERS
N95 masks are being distributed free of charge to those residents and businesses impacted by the fire.
- Santa Paula Community Center, 530 W Main St
- Santa Paula Fire Department Station 82, 536 W Main St
- Ventura County Fair – Red Cross Shelter, 10 W. Harbor Blvd
- Beth Torah Temple, 7620 Foothill Road
- Barranca Vista Center, 7050 Ralston Street
- Museum of Ventura County, 100 E. Main Street
- Hill Road Library, 10
- 70 S. Hill Road
- Saticoy Library, 1292 Los Angeles Avenue
- Sanjon Yard, 336 Sanjon Road
- City Hall, 501 Poli St. (entrance at back parking lot)
- Academic Family Medicine Center, 3291 Loma Vista Road, Building 340, Suite 201
- West Ventura Medical Clinic, 133 W Santa Clara St
- Ventura County Health Care Agency, 5851 Thille St
- Ventura County Health Care Agency, 2323 Knoll Dr # 414
- Oxnard College Gymnasium – Red Cross Shelter, 4000 S Rose Ave
- North Las Islas Family Medical Group, 2400 S C St
- South Las Islas Family Medical Group, 2400 S C St
- Ventura County Public Health-South, 2500 S C St
- Ventura County Public Health-North, 2240 E Gonzales Rd
- United Farm Workers, 920 South A St
- Nordhoff High School, 1401 Maricopa Hwy
**Look for the Red Cross vehicle**
- Ojai City Hall, 401 South Ventura Street
- Ojai Hospital, 1306 Maricopa Hwy
- Fillmore Fire Department Station 91, 711 Sespe Place
A one-stop site to aid the recovery process. Local Assistance Centers will also be avail soon for in-person assistance. (Announced by Ventura County _ FD)
Hard road closures are as follows:
Ojai Valley, Ojai City and Unincorporated Areas
- SR 150 (Casitas Pass Road) between Camp Chaffee Road(Ojai) and the 101
- SR 150 at Santa Ana Road to Via Real
- SR 33 is again CLOSED from Ojai to Ventucopa. Please still be aware of fire crews working along the highway. SLOW DOWN for them. (12/12 at 12:35 PM)
Ventura City and Unincorporated Areas
- North of Foothill Road between Day Road to Kimball Road
Fillmore City and Unincorporated Areas
- Old Telegraph Road at C Street
- Old Telegraph Road at Keith Road
- Grand Ave at Old Telegraph Road
- Sycamore Road at SR 126
- Hall Road at SR 126
SCHOOL CLOSURES – VENTURA COUNTY
COLLEGE CLOSURE LIST
SoCalGas reports that the fire has not caused any significant impacts to the system. Customers should report gas leaks by calling 911 or 1-800-427-2200. For updated information, visit socalgas.com
Current outage map here –> https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/outage-center/check-outage-status/!ut/p/b1/pVFNb4JAEP0r9MCR7NDFBY4b04C2kRC0yl7IuiyWpiyIq_349V3UpKfaGuc0LzPz5s0bxNAKMcUP9YbrulX8bcCMFEnsjuMgg0mUZhjowhvHIaEugGcactMAvwSF43wYwUM8Tcz8PMUwwSnMMkoxAEFLxBATSnf6BeU7IQvRKi2VLqSy4Zzb0O4130hLGCB7Gw61fLfEvu8Ntk613cDTibpE-drzsSh55QDw0PEAY2dNPOKE_j2phD8qIRiddV8Q9sfdR92XL8_NCv-HI8l8d-CYPT0_Ru6wIrtS8_Qfz6hft1tGjaWDdR8arW7ytGsWTYA_HfU1r5olvfsGTZWV9A!!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
(c) 2017 The CA Fire Report – 2045 hours 12/12/2017